Wednesday 4 August 2010

Dog Day Blues by Jill Campbell Mackay

In UK grieving pet owners collectively take 8 million ‘sick days’ a year to get over the death of a pet animal.

Just over ½ of the UK 14.5 pet owners in a survey, said they would need 2-5 days off work to grieve for their pet. While 10% said they would want as much as 2 weeks.

Direct Line Pet Insurance say that 79% of people admitted they did not think their boss would be sympathetic and the only way they could get time off work to mourn a pet was by lying and pretending to be sick.

Chris Price managing director Direct Line said.
‘Losing a pet can often leave a huge void in pet owner’s lives, and many will continue to suffer from deep depression following such a loss’.


Do you have a Dog Day Blues story to share?  We welcome your comments below.

4 comments:

  1. My very emtionally strong boss at work burst into tears & had to leave for home following the death of his dog. Until you've been there you just don't know how heart retching it is.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is true, when I lost Gizmo my cat I couldn't talk for the whole weekend I was so choked up.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I remember having to take my dog to be re homed, I know its not the same thing but this was many years ago and I still miss her and would so love to see my Jazzy again one day.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Losing a pet is one so upsetting.Only people who have pets understand this dreadful lost.I have lost a labrador, and cat in the past,loved them to bits.And you cant talk about it,its too painful.

    ReplyDelete